An app a day – Day 4: Google Search
Suggested user group: Students
About the app: The Google Search app allows users to quickly search the internet using text or voice input. However, it is now much more than just a search engine due to the incorporation of the Google Now feature. Android users have had this element incorporated within their app since last year, but it is a very recent inclusion for Apple users and is generating a lot of interest amongst technology bloggers. The Google Now feature draws on your personal information to let you know the local weather forecast, traffic conditions prior to commencing your journey and much more. A short introductory video appears within the app the first time you launch it to provide you with a quick overview of what the app can do.
Read more about the Google Search app and the Google Now feature here: http://www.google.com.au/landing/now/
What to do now:
- Download the appropriate app for your device from the links below (If you are reading this post on your device, tapping the link will redirect you to the Apple App Store/Google Play Store)
- Open the app (and sign up if required)
- Spend a bit of time today experimenting with the app to get used to how it works
What to do later today:
Now that you have had experiences with the app, it is time to share your thoughts and ideas with your colleagues about how the app can be useful to teachers and/or students. Feel free to express your opinions by clicking on ‘LEAVE A COMMENT’ at the bottom of this post and filling in the required fields in the pop up box. Please note: posting comments allows you to claim participation towards your PD hours.
The following are some suggested comment starters but feel free to discuss anything of interest:
- How could you use this app to assist yourself in your personal work duties?
- How could you use this app with students?
- If you are already using this app, how have you been using it yourself/with students?
- Do you have any alternative apps that fulfil the same purpose that you would recommend? Is one app preferable to use?
- What are your general thoughts about the usability of this app?
Hope you all enjoy experimenting with this app today and we look forward to reading your comments!